A balanced diet includes a variety of fruits and vegetables of many colors, whole grains and starches, good fats, and lean proteins. At many times, we think why not eat unlimited fats or unlimited carbs. Here are some of the reasons why a healthy diet is important.
HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT:
A person looking to lose weight should reduce their calorie intake to no more than what they require each day. Maintaining a healthy diet free from processed foods can help a person to stay within their daily limit without having to count calories.
KEEPS DIABETES IN CHECK:
It is essential for people with diabetes to limit their intake of foods with added sugar and salt. It is also best to avoid fried foods high in saturated and trans fats. Keeping a healthy diet can help you keep diabetes in check.
There is a close relationship between diet and mood. A diet with a high glycemic load may cause increased symptoms of depression and fatigue. Refined carbohydrates, such as those found in soft drinks, cakes, white bread, and biscuits contain a high glycemic load.
QUICK TIPS FOR A BALANCED DIET
There are plenty of small, positive ways to improve the diet, including:
- swapping soft drinks for water and herbal tea
- eating no meat for at least 1 day a week
- ensuring that produce makes up about 50 percent of each meal
- swapping cow’s milk for plant-based milk
- eating whole fruits instead of drinking juices, which contain less fiber and often include added sugar